Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Drive to Park City Part 1

So the first half of my drive turned out to be much longer thanks to the Hells Canyon Motorcycle Rally. I was planning to stay the night in Baker City, OR, but it turns out every motel, hotel, and inn is full because of the motorcycle rally. This is learned at midnight.

It also turns out that every motel, hotel, and inn located in the next town of Ontario (1 hour away) was full because of the rally and a local community college graduation event this weekend. This is learned at around 1:15am (actually 2:15 because I'm now in Mountain time).

So another 30 minutes down the road and I'm in Caldwell, Idaho where I get apparently the last room in a La Quinta. So it's almost 3am and I just got into my room.

I'm only about 5 hours away right now. I'll probably use the extra available time on Saturday to see something interesting between Caldwell and Salt Lake City.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there...I'm Amy Hoppock's mom and just wanted to suggest a "scenic" stop next time you travel through southern Idaho. When you see the Twin Falls exit head south and just before entering Twin (it's only a couple of miles) you will cross the Perrine Bridge (the only legal BASE jumping spot in the world...I think :o) Then just pull over to the visitor center and take a peek into the Snake River Canyon. If your kids are with you you can stretch your legs and I even think there is a spot for a bathroom break. Hope you enjoy your time living in the intermountain (sunny) west! Travel and move safely. Hugs from Idaho Cindy Varin