Saturday, January 6, 2007

A Month To Top All Months: Part 1

Ahhh November...how we will never forget the November of 2006!!! So memorable that two months later I (Cambria) still feel the need to record its full events. So I am sure to never forget all the details. And so when I say to myself "Remember that crazy November!" I can truly recall all of the craziness. Here it goes...

The Car
Brian and the girls are left stranded by the Subaru on a dark, cold, rainy Thursday night at the Market 3 miles from our house. I am at work on a typical busy night, so busy that its nearly impossible to leave. Fortunately I have one neighbor's phone number programed into my cell phone and they are home...so $350 and two days later we have our second car back and running!

Rain
Its Saturday night, or should I say early Sunday morning. I return home from working my 8 hour shift without so much as a 5 minute break to relieve my feet, back, and stomach. Its 1:30am and I can't believe how tired I feel. After-all I do this every Saturday night and have been for as long as I can remember! I crawl into bed and am out like a light. One hour later in a delirious state my 5 year-old comes to my bed-side and states "It's raining in my room!" I can hear the rain coming down hard on the skylights so thinking she is just hearing it outside her window I take her to put her back to bed. Upon entering her bedroom I realize that neither one of us is deliriously hallucinating. There is water pouring into her room. At this point I yell for Brian and we are frantically grabbing towels and buckets the soak up all the water. She goes to sleep in you big sister's room for the rest of the night. $360 and two weeks later a roofer finds parts of the flashing two floors above is damaged around the hood vent of the stove. We file our fist home-owners claim to find out that the whole thing cost less than our $1000 deductible per incident, so we have another big bill to pay.

The Oven
Thursday afternoon one hour before I have to leave for work, I mix up the batch of cupcake batter for the girls end of soccer season treats. Being a working mom means I am often too busy to volunteer for such things and most of the other moms involved seem to have a lot of time on their hands so I let them take care of it (Maille's soccer coach, also coaches her older daughter's team, plays adult league herself, and is PTA president for the the girl's elementary school...Oh to have so much TIME!). Before I started mixing I had turned my oven on knowing that in its 15 year old state it would take a full 15 minutes to warm-up (I really miss my gas stove/oven from my old house!). I scoop the batter into the muffin tins and turn around to put them into to the oven...no heat comes out as I open the door. Upon closer investigation I realize the heating element has disengrated into about 25 peices and powder in some places. So I turn the oven off and run out my front door praying a neighbor is home and not already cooking dinner in thier oven. Catastrophy diverted, the neighbor baked my cupcakes in exchange for a couple for thier dessert and the soccer teams had their treats on game day! We were also able to replace the heating element for about $35, but it was a long week without use of the oven...you don't realize what you've got til its gone!

Birthdays
November has one week of Birthdays in our family...Shannon's is the 1st, Lydia's in the 6th, and Chris and Jamie's is the 7th! This year Lydia talked us into her first sleep-over party...yep we agreed to letting her invite 4 seven and eight year-old girls over for a sleep-over. It was fun...Really! It went very smooth and everyone got along and we had no real drama to speak of. We might consider it again in the future. Maille is readily waiting her turn. We keep telling her she has to wait til her eighth birthday too!

Standby for Part II, that's when it gets really good!

No comments: